Legal Advocacy Program
Domestic Violence Supportive Services
First Judicial District Courthouse
100 Jefferson County Pkwy.
Phone: (303) 271-6559
Alternate Phone: (303) 420-0412
Fax: (303) 271-6555
Division Director: Deb Bittner
The purpose of the Family Tree Legal Advocacy Program is to increase immediate and long-term safety for victims of domestic violence, sexual assault, and stalking by providing civil and criminal legal advocacy, crisis intervention and information and referrals.
Protection Order Clinics:
The Protection Order clinic is held from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m and from 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.. in the Victim/Witness Unit of the Jefferson County Courthouse. Services are provided for victims of stalking, sexual assault and domestic violence. Services include:
- Information and referrals to legal, community and emergency resources by phone and in person
- Assistance with civil protection order paperwork
- Accompaniment to the civil clerk for filing of the paperwork
- Accompaniment to the temporary protection order hearing
- Assistance with the service of protection order paperwork
- Preparation for permanent protection order hearings
- Accompaniment to the permanent protection order hearing
- Advocacy within the civil and criminal legal systems
The Legal Clinic is held three times per month at 7:00 p.m. at Family Tree's administrative offices. Please call (303) 420-0412 for eligibility requirements and to register. Victims of domestic violence, stalking and sexual assault meet with volunteer attorneys and/or paralegals regarding family law issues. One of the monthly clinics is for Spanish-speaking victims. Services include:
- Advice, information and assistance with family law cases including, but not limited to dissolution of marriage, legal separation, common law marriage, allocation of parental responsibility, and protection orders
- Necessary paperwork is available for participants
- Crisis intervention, advocacy, and support from a Legal Advocate
- Information and referrals to legal, community, and emergency resources
*Clinicas Legales gratis en Espanol: cada segundo miercoles a las 7:00 p.m. Por favor llame al (303) 420-0412 para elegibilidad exigencias y registrarse.
How to Help Workshop:
How To Help workshop is held on the fourth Monday of every month from 6:00 - 8:30 p.m. at Family Tree's administrative office. The workshop is for the family and friends of domestic violence victims.
To Make A Referral:
Referrals to all of the legal advocacy programs are made through law enforcement agencies, community based agencies, and information that is made available in the community via brochures, fliers and presentations. The protection order clinic is on a walk-in basis and clients do not need to make an appointment. Persons interested in the legal clinics as well as the How to Help Workshop are asked to call to reserve a spot. The contact phone number is (303) 420-0412.