- Work with the safehouse team to provide crisis intervention, advocacy, and case management for victims of domestic violence in the shelter.
- Volunteers and Interns will provide information, referrals and support to callers on the 24-hour crisis hotline.
- Provide crisis intervention and case management.
- Maintain confidentiality.
- Provide information, referrals and support to shelter clients and crisis callers.
- Complete phone assessments for potential clients, intakes with new clients, and complete weekly case management sessions with on-going clients.
- Provide individual advocacy on domestic violence, safety planning, emotional support, and community referrals.
- Complete documentation, log entries, maintain case notes, stats, and other information regarding client issues.
- Follow Family Tree child abuse reporting procedures as a mandated reporter.
- Co-facilitate or facilitate weekly groups for women, children, or families.
- Assist with children with providing support during group settings.
- Provide positive role modeling for families.
- Meet individually with children and parent as necessary.
- Our organization’s constituents will receive premier service and be connected with the best Family Tree staff member to meet their needs.
- Family Tree constituents will have an enjoyable first impression of the organization.
- Family Advocate Volunteer/Intern will demonstrate the value and effective volunteer engagement and attract additional volunteers that can help build Family Tree’s capacity
Family Advocate Volunteer/Interns are expected to be available for six months. The weekly commitment is 4-6 hours or bi-weekly minimum; day or early evening. Actual times and days vary depending on the program and volunteer schedule.
Undergraduate Interns are expected to work 3 day/week minimum.
- Complete volunteer orientation and background check.
- Able to work in chaotic environment - flexibility and patience a must.
- Willingness to learn about trauma in women and children, domestic violence, crisis intervention, residential work, and empowerment philosophy.
- Follow requirements as a mandated reporter.
- Attend Family Tree domestic violence training.
- Undergraduate interns only with major in human services, social work, sociology or psychology preferred. No experience required.
- Becoming part of the Family Tree team, providing solutions for families in crisis to become safe, strong and self-reliant.
- Opportunities to make a difference in the lives of women and children and to create a more child-friendly community.
- Opportunity to participate and be active with a dynamic team of social service providers.
- Work experience to enhance the strength of your resume.
- Opportunity to be considered for employment with Family Tree.
If you are interested in this position, please send your resume and brief cover letter to Erika Nelson, Director of Volunteer Services at firstname.lastname@example.org. For further questions about volunteering, please don’t hesitate to contact the (staff) Volunteer Liaison of this program: Ruby Renya email@example.com (303) 420-0412.