- The Attorney assists victims of domestic violence who attend the weekly legal advocacy clinics.
- The attorney will help victims understand:
- Colorado Family law
- Provide guidance as to their rights
- Proper court procedures for pro se individuals.
- Our organization’s constituents will receive premier service and be connected with the best Family Tree staff member to meet their needs.
- Family Tree constituents will have an enjoyable first impression of the organization.
- Volunteer Attorneys will demonstrate the value and effective volunteer engagement and attract additional volunteers that can help build Family Tree’s capacity
Training & Support
- We encourage volunteer attorneys to attend trainings offered by Family Tree, in particular Domestic Violence 101
We request volunteer attorneys to be available two to four times per year for the clinic – held the first and third Wednesday evenings from 7pm-10pm at Family Tree’s Administration office in English, the second Wednesday of the month in Spanish, and the fourth Wednesday of the month at our residential Domestic Violence Shelter.
Note: Volunteer attorneys are not expected to represent or offer representation to any client.
- Must be a licensed attorney with knowledge of Colorado Family Law.
- Knowledge of dissolution of marriage and allocation of parental responsibilities processes in Colorado
- Must have strong interpersonal skills, ability to work sometimes in chaotic environment.
- Must have compassion for victims of crime.
- Colorado Professional Rule of Conduct Encourages 50 hours of pro bono legal service a year.
- Becoming part of the Family Tree team, providing solutions for families in crisis to become safe, strong and self-reliant.
- Opportunities to make a difference in the lives of families in our community.
- Professional experience to enhance the strength of your resume.
- Direct client contact with those going through the court process.
If you are interested in this position, please send your resume and brief cover letter to Erika Nelson, Director of Volunteer Services at firstname.lastname@example.org. For further questions, please don’t hesitate to contact the (staff) Volunteer Liaison of this program Sabrina Martinez at smartinez@Thefamilytree.org or (303) 271-6559