Diversity/Inclusiveness has long-been a Family Tree core value and practice while serving the Denver metro area. The Family Tree Inclusiveness Committee includes Family Tree staff members committed to demonstrating a more inclusive environment for clients and staff. Family Tree offers services in the areas of child abuse, domestic violence and homelessness and recognizes that marginalized communities face many barriers when trying to access human service programs.
With input from a staff survey, the committee identified five priority areas for Family Tree – language access, immigration status, gender and sexuality, accessibility, and race and ethnicity. To date we have addressed the first three through:
- Implementing language interpretation services for all programs
- Providing Spanish versions of Family Tree’s program brochure, and website pages
- Providing Spanish signage
- Updating an accessible door at Family Tree’s primary program and administrative office
- Converting a restroom into a single-stall, all-gender restroom
- Posting directories to identify locations of the gender neutral restroom, changing tables, and a breastfeeding space
- Providing training for staff, including an “Immigration 101” through Colorado Immigrant Rights Coalition (CIRC) and “Dismantling Oppression through Advocacy” through Colorado Coalition Against Sexual Assault (CCASA)
- Providing input to the Federal Government regarding the proposed “public charge” rule change and its potential impact on Family Tree clients
Additionally, Family Tree’s Spectrum Committee provides resources for LGBTQIA+ clients, staff and the community including:
- Providing training and guidance on personal pronouns usage to staff to include in email signatures and on business cards
- Representing Family Tree by marching as a staff and volunteer team in Denver’s Pride Parade
Inclusivity is ever-changing and is an ongoing process and priority. Family Tree continues to seek new ways to engage in anti-oppression work. Watch for Family Tree representatives at the Denver Pride Parade on June 16th!