- Answer phones, record messages, and direct calls to the appropriate staff and retrieve messages from voice mail. Document information and referral calls.
- Provided information and referral resources to callers and occasional “walk-ins” that may be in crisis.
- Maintain confidentiality.
- Assess each caller for homelessness by conducting a “phone screen” and recording the information on the appropriate form.
- Greet and assist office visitors, including children.
- Perform various office duties, which may include typing, copying, faxing, filing, sorting mail, addressing and stuffing envelopes, and posting mail.
- Assist in maintaining the donations storeroom.
- Housing and Family Services (HFS) clients will receive premier service and be connected with the best Family Tree staff member to meet their needs.
- Administrative and Crisis Support Assistants will demonstrate the value of effective volunteer engagement and attract additional volunteers that can help build Family Tree’s capacity.
- This role will help HFS staff to fulfill strategic priorities.
Training & Support
- We ask each volunteer to attend the following trainings led by Family Tree experts: Volunteer Orientation, Domestic Violence Symposium and Homelessness 101.
- Administrative and Crisis Support Assistants will have additional training from staff.
Administrative and Crisis Support Assistants are expected to be available for six months. The hours are flexible during regular business hours (M-F, 9am-4:30pm). Four hours per week is preferred.
- Completion of volunteer orientation and approved background check.
- Comfortable dealing with the public and busy office environment.
- Willingness to learn and desire to assist people who are in crisis is essential.
- Working knowledge of computers.
- Movement sufficient to file and conduct ordinary office/administrative tasks.
- Becoming part of the Family Tree team, providing solutions for families in crisis to become safe, strong and self-reliant.
- Hands on experience working in the human service field.
- Opportunity to participate and be active with a dynamic team of social service providers.
- Work experience to enhance the strength of your resume.
- On-going support, supervision and recognition.
- Opportunity to be considered for employment with Family Tree.
If you are interested in this position, please email Erika Nelson, Director of Volunteer Services at firstname.lastname@example.org.