- Help care for children so that their parents can attend life skills classes and counseling sessions.
- Supervise and teach social skills while overseeing appropriate children’s activities.
- Use creative approaches to activities and esteem building interactions.
- Serve as backup receptionist as needed while on duty
- Knowledge of Family Tree mission, vision, values and programs.
- Supervise children three months to 12 years of age. Help children to understand appropriate behavior for indoor and outdoor play, storytelling, and interactive play with other children, supervise children’s use of the computer.
- Provide a consistent and warm welcome to families and help them feel comfortable at the Karlis Family Center and CentrePoint.
- Empty trash and assist with maintaining cleanliness of center.
- Maintain confidentiality and boundaries.
- Complete other duties as assigned.
- Our organization’s constituents will receive premier service and be connected with the best Family Tree staff member to meet their needs.
- Playtime Specialist will demonstrate the value of effective volunteer engagement and attract additional volunteers that can help build Family Tree’s capacity.
- This role will help Karlis Family Center and CentrePoint staff to fulfill strategic priorities.
Training & Support
- We ask each volunteer to attend the following trainings led by Family Tree experts: Volunteer Orientation, Domestic Violence Symposium and Homelessness 101.
- Playtime Specialist will have additional training from Karlis Family Center staff. Commitment Playtime Specialists are expected to be available for six months. The monthly commitment is three shifts per month during evenings (any day of the week) and weekends.
- Completion of volunteer orientation and approved background check.
- The volunteer will act in a non-discriminatory manner toward all clients, regardless of age, sex, race, national origin, religion, physical handicap, political affiliations, social or economic status, affliction preference, or choice of lifestyle.
- Desire and experience working with children.
- Able to lift and carry children up to 30 pounds.
- Must be able to maintain confidentiality.
- Must be dependable – when scheduled to volunteer, must honor commitment and understand the consequences of calling in or no-showing for a shift.
- Must have good judgment, maturity, common sense, and a high degree of responsibility.
- Becoming part of the Family Tree team, providing solutions for families in crisis to become safe, strong and self-reliant.
- Opportunities to make a difference in the lives of children and to create a more child-friendly community.
- Opportunity to participate and be active with a dynamic team of social service providers.
- Work experience to enhance the strength of your resume.
- Direct client contact with those going through the court process.
- Opportunity to be considered for employment with Family Tree.
If you are interested in this position, please send your resume and brief cover letter to Erika Nelson, Director of Volunteer Services at firstname.lastname@example.org . For further questions, please don’t hesitate to contact Jody Bittrich, Parenting Time Program Director and Volunteer Liaison, at email@example.com or 303-462-1060 x217.